Saturday, May 15, 2010

Fast forward to today

OK, so the last time there was much activity on here was back in December as the process is a long and arduous one to say the least. Testing, required visits, paperwork, insurance, paperwork, scheduling, back to insurance, and on and on. If you told me back in December that it would be May until I was able to have surgery I would have said no way! 6 months! And remember it was not because of the required pre-op diet, because I was exempt from that. This is just a long process, which is all to say you have to be ready and committed to keep it moving forward on your own behalf.

But today I write 4 days post op. Surgery was on Tuesday (5/11/2010) and I'm recovering quite well. Still slow to get around but I was able to work from home on Friday and get out to the movies and the garden. Looks like I'm off the pain medication for good. Sleeping is still a little tough as I'm a stomach/side sleeper. So for now I'm resigned to being a back/side sleeper. Currently on a liquid diet until my 2 week post op appointment. Yesterday, I started getting my appetite back a little bit: 1/2c Greek yogurt for breakfast, 1/2c soup for lunch, 1c soup & 1/2c mashed potatoes for dinner. OK, so its not completely liquid but you catch my drift. It's an odd feeling being head hungry because I know I haven't really eaten in 4 days, but when I go to eat my body is just not into it. But that is something that I will just have to accept.

One thing I wish the doctor had told me was not to weight myself right when I get home, all the weight that I lost in the run-in liquid diet seemed to come right back during surgery. I know this is a function of the fluids and the surgery but it was a little upsetting at first. But today I'm back to my day of surgery weight so I'm feeling good about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment